Name: citric acid; 2-hydroxypropane-1,2,3-tricarboxylic acid; hydrogen citrate
CAS Number: 77-92-9
Molar Mass: 192.12352 g
Mass Percent: C 37.509 %; H 4.1970 %; O 58.293 %
• "...is found in the juices of lemons, oranges, limes, gooseberries, and many other kinds of fruits." 1
• "An acid found in citrus fruits or prepared synthetically in the form of colorless crystals or white crystalline powder, which is soluble in water, ether, and alcohol. The hydrous form is used as a flavoring agent." 2
Double Bonds: 3
Triple Bonds: 0
Sigma Bonds: 20
Pi Bonds: 3
Carboxyl Groups: 3
Hydroxyl Groups: 1
For More Information
(1) - Brownlee, Raymond B., Fuller, Robert W., and Whitsit, Jesse E. Elements of Chemistry; Allyn and Bacon: Boston, Massachusetts, 1959; p 328.
(2) - Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary, 18th ed.; F. A. David Company: Philadelphia, PA, 1997; p 21.
(3) - Zumdahl, Steven and Zumdahl, Susan A. Chemistry 9th ed.; Brooks/Cole: Belmont, CA, 2014; p 132.