Name: hydroquinone; quinol; benzene-1,4-diol
CAS Number: 123-31-9
Molar Mass: 110.11064 g
Mass Percent: C 65.447 %; H 5.4923 %; O 29.060 %
• "The bombardier beetle has a fascinating defense mechanism based on the oxidation of an organic compound with hydrogen peroxide. Within the beetle is a sac containing a mixture of the compound (hydroquinone) and hydrogen peroxide. An enzyme initiates the reaction, which is so exothermic that it causes the liquid to boil. The boiling liquid is then expelled at the beetle's enemies." 1
• "As photographic reducer and developer; as reagent in the determination of small quantities of phosphate; as antioxidant. Depigmentor." 2
172.3°C 3 = 445.45 K = 342.14°F
287°C 3 = 560.15 K = 548.6°F
1.328 at 15°C 3
1.332 at 15°C 2
* - 1 atm pressure
soluble: • 3
very soluble: • 3
Double Bonds: 3
Triple Bonds: 0
Sigma Bonds: 14
Pi Bonds: 3
Carboxyl Groups: 0
Hydroxyl Groups: 2
ΔHf° (g): -63.41 kcal/mol = -265.3 kJ/mol 4
CxHyOz + 0.25(4x+y-2z) O2 (g) → x CO2 (g) + 0.5y H2O (ℓ)
ΔHcomb° (s): -682.12740917782 kcal = -2854.05 kJ
ΔHcomb° (g): -705.836778202677 kcal = -2953.25 kJ
NFPA 704 Ratings:
Health: 2 - Intense or continued but not chronic exposure could cause temporary incapacitation or possible residual injury.
Flammability: 1 - Must be heated before ignition can occur. Flash point over 93°C (200°F).
Reactivity: 0 - Normally stable, even under fire exposure conditions, and is not reactive with water.
For More Information
(1) - Ebbing, Darrell D. General Chemistry 3rd ed.; Houghton Mifflin Company: Boston, MA, 1990; pp 536-537.
(2) - The Merck Index: An Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs, and Biologicals, 13th ed.; Budavari, S.; O'Neil, M.J.; Smith, A.; Heckelman, P. E.; Kinneary, J. F., Eds.; Merck & Co.: Whitehouse Station, NJ, 2001; entry 4833.
(3) - Lide, David R. CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 83rd ed.; CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, 2002; p 3-43.
(4) - Lide, David R. CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 83rd ed.; CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, 2002; p 5-44.
(5) - Lide, David R. CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 83rd ed.; CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, 2002; p 5-44.
(6) - Lide, David R. CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 83rd ed.; CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, 2002; p 5-44.